Printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt for Kids
36 different Halloween Scavenger Hunt clue cards will allow you to create a fun and exciting scavenger / treasure hunt game for kids to enjoy. Plus with our master clue sheet and blank clue sheet you easily set it up and create custom clues too!
We have seen a variety of online Halloween Scavenger Hunt games, and we felt some of the little extras that help make setting up your scavenger hunt and personalizing it were missing. So Party Game Ideas created its own.
Halloween Scavenger Hunt Game
• 36 Clues for inside and outside items.
• Most rhymes include Halloween elements and images.
• Master clue and tips sheet helps you plan and set up your Halloween Scavenger hunt.
• With 36 clues – You can run more than one hunt with minimal or no overlap.
• You control the length of the scavenger hunt 10, 15, 20 or more clues!
Halloween Scavenger Hunt for Kids
This printable Halloween games includes 36 scavenger / treasure hunt clues, master clue sheet, blank clue page to add your own, helpful tips and instructions.
Purchase Printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt $6.00
Printable Scavenger Hunt includes:
36 Clue Cards for your Hunt.
Scavenger Hunt Key to organize, plan and remember where clues are.
Blank clue sheet, so you can add your own.
Scavenger Hunt rules, tips and instructions.
Once purchased, the game link will be emailed to so you can download it.
7 – 12 with reading skills
Younger children can participate, but an older child or an adult would need to read the clues. Then the child can try to solve them.
Length of Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Scavenger Hunts tend to run 7 – 15 minutes, but the length depends on the number of clues, location of clues (spaced out around the house), and often the age of the participants. Younger kids tend to be a little slower and older kids very quick! Ways to increase the length of your Halloween treasure hunt; use vague clues (attic, where cars are, etc…), space the clues far apart, really hide the clues (fold up, tape onto, layer into items), and add clues where there are multiple locations in the house for the same item (tvs, chargers, chairs, bathroom…,).
Halloween Scavenger Hunt for Kids Notes & Comments
• Here is the list of items and places we have clues for. We include extra items and even 3 variations of the shoe clue, because everyone’s family and home is different and this mix gives a good variety of common and unique items and places around the home.
• We don’t set the order of your game you do!
We found that quite a few Halloween Scavenger Hunts / Treasure Hunts have a preset order. Then the question came up, what if they don’t have a specific item in their house and the kids get confused that a number is missing. Well we decided that a simple circle would allow each parent or party host to determine the order of the clues based on their home and its contents.
• Helpful Halloween Scavenger Hunt Key
Our scavenger hunt key is great for planning your kid’s game. You can quickly review all the game clues and mark the ones you are interested in and the add any custom clues ideas you might have. Then you can start to plan how the kids will move around the house while on their scavenger hunt. You’ll find these sheet to be extremely valuable if you have to create more than on Halloween scavenger hunt and you need to remember where all the clues are!
• Our Blank Clue Sheet Helps You Customize Your Event
With our blank clue sheets you can easily write a clue for the skeleton on the porch swing, an adult in a Halloween specific costume, or a unique area or item in your home. Each blank Halloween scavenger hunt clue card has Halloween themed images and blends in with the rest of the clues, so you can add one or several clues to the game. FYI – We found these to be really helpful in larger families. 🙂
• Single Player or Group Scavenger Hunts
For many parents, they create a Halloween Scavenger Hunts for each child on or before Halloween. This is a fun way to get kids excited about Halloween events and give them treats and/or Halloween related gifts. Our printable game will help you create a great hunt that they will enjoy.
If you are planning to do a Halloween Scavenger Hunt at a party or event here are some ideas.
a. If you are doing a party and having kids go one at a time. Tape down the clues (so they are not removed) and make them relatively easy to find also, remember to keep the clue items in the family areas of the house rather than personalized bedrooms and bathrooms.
– If just for fun stagger the release of the kids and let them go one at a time. If possible have more than one Scavenger Hunt path so that kids don’t have to wait a minute or two to start. Then at the end of the scavenger hunt each child games a prize.
– If you want individual competing against each other then, you need to time each player on the run and between runs make sure no clues are missing. In this case the fastest scavenger hunt time wins. (This is often a lot of work and if you have more than 6-8 guests competing it can tire the host out. We would avoid this.)
b. Kids doing the Halloween scavenger hunt in a group. Our first thought is keep the group small 2- 4 kids. Also remind them to take turns reading the clues and letting different team members try to find the clues. If you have several groups consider creating some some scavenger hunt path variations.
Tip – Our favorite way to do this is to use a person as a location towards the end of the hunt. This can be done by having the first 8-10 scavenger hunt locations be the same for each team, then there is a custom clue (that you create) that says Go to Captain America or Princess (person at event in a very specific costume) for your next clue. Once the teams arrive each is given a different clue for the last few locations before the find their Halloween surprise.
While you can do scavenger hunts as a competitive times game, we suggest you just have fun with it and not be concerned with kids running, falling or breaking things in the house.
Printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt Fun for Kids
We’ve put together a fun mix of scavenger hunt clues that should make for an engaging adventure. Have fun hiding your clues, setting up some spooky decorations and awaiting the little ghosts and goblins to take on the your scavenger hunt challenge.
Halloween Scavenger Hunt Ideas
Looking for something else? Here are some of our different outdoor scavenger hunt games / activities for Halloween
• Halloween Costume Scavenger Hunt
• Halloween Photo Scavenger Hunt
• Halloween Outdoor Decorations Scavenger Hunt
You might also enjoy these Halloween games.