What Happened in 1991 – Trivia, Movies, Songs, TV Shows, Born In
Trivia, Movies, Songs, Sports, Celebrities Born In 1991, News, Fun Facts and more.
Ever wonder, “What Happened in 1991?”
Well if you if you are planning a birthday party for friends or family, 1990s trivia game night, wedding anniversary event, class reunion or just interested in 1991 movies, music, tv, famous people born, trivia and fun facts; well you are in luck. Party Game Ideas has pulled together a list of news and interesting facts that happened in 1991, so you can create trivia games or activities based on 1991 facts. If you need games for a 1991 birthday party, check out our Born in 1991 – Birthday Party Game Pack.
1991 Items – Page Topics Listed in Order
1991 History & News, Fun Facts
1991 Top Movies, Notable Quotes, Top 40 Songs of 1991, Sports
Celebrities Born in 1991, Top TV Shows, Saturday Morning Cartoons
What Did Things Cost in 1991
1991 History & News
- Operation Desert Storm United Nations Coalition Force drives Iraq forces out of Kuwait.
- The United States and Soviet Union agree to the START I Treaty, agree to reduce the number of nuclear warheads each country has to 7,950.
- Russia – Boris Yeltsin wins first free elections for Russia’s first popularity-elected president.
- The Soviet Union takes the first official steps to break up the U.S.S.R. during September when the Congress of People’s Deputies voted for its dissolution.
- Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as president of the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union officially ceases to exist and the Cold War ends.
- Balkan War starts when Slovenia and Croatia declare independence from Yugoslavia.
- Clarence Thomas becomes a member of the US Supreme Court.
- The trial of the deposed Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega begins in the United States.
- Amateur video captures beating of Rodney King by Los Angeles police officers.
- Serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer is arrested after the remains of 11 young men are found in his Milwaukee, Wisconsin apartment.
- USA’s Galileo spacecraft become the first to visit an asteroid (951 Gaspra).
- Dow Jones average tops 3,000 for the first time.
- Freddie Mercury, lead singer of Queen, issues statement he has AIDS. Sadly, the next day he passes away.
- Magic Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers announced he was HIV-positive and retired from the NBA.
- Time Person of the Year: Ted Turner founder of CNN
Interesting Trivia & Fun Facts about 1991
- Internet is made available to unrestricted commercial use and number of computers on the net reaches 1 million.
- Nickelodeon introduces Doug, Rugrats, and The Ren & Stimpy Show.
- The web browser is introduced by Tim Berners-Lee.
- Microsoft releases MS Dos 5.0
- Sonic the Hedgehog is released in the United States. Nearly 1 million copies were sold by Christmas of 1991 and almost 2 million were sold worldwide.
- The Super Nintendo Entertainment System is released in the United States.
- Nirvana releases Nevermind album, which sells over 11 million copies in the United States.
- Grunge fashion and music become popular with the release of Nirvana’s “Smell’s Like Teen Spirit” music video.
- Dana Plato, actress on of TV’s Different Strokes, arrested for robbing a Las Vegas video store.
- Dinosaurs tv sitcom premieres and Baby Sinclair’s catch phrases “I’m the baby. Gotta love me.”, “Again”, and “Not the mama!” become popular.
- The final episode of Dallas airs after 14 seasons and a total of 357 shows. J.R. was the only character to appear in every episode.
- Elizabeth Taylor marries Larry Fortensky. It is her 8th marriage, but 7th husband.
- Elizabeth Taylor’s White Diamonds perfume is released and sets the standard for celebrity fragrances.
- Volcom is created and starts selling boardshorts and beach/surf themed merchandise.
- Whitney Houston sings the The Star-Bangled Banner at the Super Bowl XXV, it is so exceptional the song is released as a single.
- Salsa sales surpass ketchup sales for the first time.
- Callaway Golf introduces the Big Bertha golf club.
- Kentucky Fired Chicken officially changed its name to KFC.
- Bounty begins using the slogan “quicker picker-upper.”
World Population – 5,368,000,000
Top Movies 1991 – US Box Office in millions
This list represents the earnings of movies that were released in 1991. We featured the top grossing movies of 1991 and other movies that were very memorable or are now notable decades after they first hit the big screen.
1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day $204.8
2. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves $165.5
3. Beauty and the Beast $145.9
4. The Silence of the Lambs $130.7
5. City Slickers $124
6. Hook $119.7
7. The Addams Family $113.5
8. Sleeping with the Enemy $101.6
9. Father of the Bride $89.3
10. The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear $86.9
11. Fried Green Tomatoes $82.4
12. Cape Fear $79.1
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze $78.7
14. Backdraft $77.9
15. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country $74.9
Other notable 1991 movies:
Boyz n the Hood, Thelma & Louise, and Point Break
- 1991 Academy Award for Best Picture – Dances with Wolves
- 1991 Best Actor – Jeremy Irons for Reversal of Fortune
- 1991 Best Actress – Kathy Bates for Misery
Academy Awards Winners for 1992 – Represents movies released in 1991.
- 1992 Academy Award for Best Picture – The Silence of the Lambs
- 1992 Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins for The Silence of the Lambs
- 1992 Best Actress – Jody Foster for The Silence of the Lambs
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast was the first animated movie to be nominated in the best picture category at the Oscars.
Notable Quotes from 1991
“Hasta La Vista Baby “
– Arnold Schwarzenegger, in Terminator 2: Judgement Day
“A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.”
– Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs
“I’m the baby. Gotta love me.”
– Baby Sinclair, Dinosaurs tv show
“I’ve just been robbed by the girl who played Kimberly on Diff’rent Strokes.”
– The liquor store clerk on the phone with the 911 operator
Take 1991 Trivia to the Party! See if guests can remember what happened in the 1990s and 2000s.
Top Songs of 1991
Ratings are based on Hot 100 Charts from third week of Nov. 1990 – third week of Nov. 1991 ranking by Billboard
No. 1. Song of 1991 – “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You” Bryan Adams
2. “I Wanna Sex You Up” Color Me Badd
3. “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” C+C Music Factory
4. “Rush Rush” Paula Abdul
5. “One More Try” Timmy T
6. “Unbelievable” EMF
7. “More Than Words” Extreme
8. “I Like the Way (The Kissing Game)” Hi-Five
9. “The First Time” Surface
10. “Baby Baby” Amy Grant
11. “Motownphilly” Boyz II Men
12. “Because I Love You (The Postman Song)” Stevie B
13. “Someday” Mariah Carey
14. “High Enough” Damn Yankees
15. “From a Distance” Bette Midler
16. “All the Man That I Need” Whitney Houston
17. “Right Here, Right Now” Jesus Jones
18. “I Adore Mi Amor” Color Me Badd
19. “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” Janet Jackson
20. “Good Vibrations” Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway
21. “Justify My Love” Madonna
22. “Emotions” Mariah Carey
23. “Joyride” Roxette
24. “Romantic” Karyn White
25. “Hold You Tight” Tara Kemp
26. “I Don’t Wanna Cry” Mariah Carey
27. “You’re in Love” Wilson Phillips
28. “Every Heartbeat” Amy Grant
29. “Sensitivity” Ralph Tresvant
30. “Touch Me (All Night Long)” Cathy Dennis
31. “I’ve Been Thinking About You” Londonbeat
32. “Do Anything” Natural Selection
33. “Losing My Religion” R.E.M.
34. “Coming Out of the Dark” Gloria Estefan
35. “It Ain’t Over ’til It’s Over” Lenny Kravitz
36. “Here We Go” C+C Music Factory
37. “Where Does My Heart Beat Now” Celine Dion
38. “Summertime” DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
39. “Wind of Change” Scorpions
40. “P.A.S.S.I.O.N.” Rythm Syndicate
Michael Jackson’s song Black or White was released in Nov. 1991 and hit No. 1 in December of 1991. However the year end song ranking data was already finalized for 1991, so “Black and White” did not rank in the Top 100 for 1991. However, it would be the No. 14 song of 1992.
Rolling Stone Magazine originally gave Nirvana’s Nevermind album a 3 star rating. They now give it 5 stars and rank it as one of the top 20 albums of all time.
1991 – What Happened in Sports
- Football – Super Bowl XXV – New York Giants defeat Buffalo Bills 20-19
- NFL Dec. 26th – Chuck Noll retires as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers after 23 years.
- Horse Racing – Kentucky Derby – Strike the Gold
- Ice Hockey – Stanley Cup – Pittsburgh Penguins defeat Minnesota North Stars 4 games to 2
- NBA Finals – Chicago Bulls defeat Los Angeles Lakers 4 games to 1
- Golf – U.S. Open – Payne Stewart
Wimbledon Championships – Men’s Michael Stich, Women’s Steffi Graf
US Open – Men’s Stefan Edberg, Women’s Monica Seles
- Baseball – World Series – Minnesota Twins defeat Atlanta Braves 4 games to 3 games.
Orange Bowl: January 1, 1991 – Colorado defeated Notre Dame
Rose Bowl: January 1, 1991 – Washington defeated Iowa
Sugar Bowl : January 1, 1991 – Tennessee defeated Virginia
Cotton Bowl : January 1, 1991 – Miami defeated Texas
- Men’s Division 1 Basketball – Duke defeats Kansas 72 – 65
Celebrities Born in 1991
These celebrities and famous people were born in 91! You’ll find singers, rappers, tv and movie stars, athletes, models and more.
More Celebrities and Famous People Born in 1991
- Alexa Bliss
- Derek Carr
- Hunter Hayes
- KiKi Layne
- Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood – Harry Potter)
- Kyle Massey
- Dylan O’Brien
- Tyler Posey
- Charlie Puth
- Anthony Ramos
- Emma Roberts
- Jamie Lynn Spears
- Samantha Win
- Bonnie Wright (Ginny Wesley – Harry Potter)
Top Baby Names of 1991
- Girls Names – Ashley, Jessica, Brittany, Amanda, Samantha
- Boys Names – Michael, Christopher, Matthew, Joshua, Andrew
Most Popular TV Shows of 1991
We include the Top 20 TV shows for two seasons, since they are different. Interesting to see the shows shift in popularity over the course of one year. The number after the show is the number of average viewers per week in millions. Numbers based on Neilson Media.
Top TV Shows of 1990 – 1991 Season
1. Cheers NBC 21.3
2. 60 Minutes CBS 20.6
3. Roseanne ABC 18.1
4. A Different World NBC 17.5
5. The Cosby Show NBC 17.1
6. Murphy Brown CBS 16.9
T7. Empty Nest NBC 16.7
T7. America’s Funniest Home Videos ABC
9. Monday Night Football ABC 16.6
T10. The Golden Girls NBC 16.5
T10. Designing Women CBS
12. Murder, She Wrote 16.4
13. America’s Funniest People ABC 16.3
14. Full House ABC 15.9
15. Family Matters ABC 15.8
16. Unsolved Mysteries NBC 15.7
17. Matlock NBC 15.5
18. Coach ABC 15.3
T19. Who’s the Boss? ABC 15.0
T19. CBS Sunday Movie CBS
Top TV Shows of 1991 – 1992 Season
1. 60 Minutes CBS Rating 21.9
2. Roseanne ABC 19.9
3. Murphy Brown CBS 18.6
T4. Cheers NBC 17.5
T4. Home Improvement ABC
6. Designing Women CBS 17.3
7. Full House ABC 17.0
8. Murder, She Wrote CBS 16.9
9. Major Dad CBS 16.8
T10. Coach ABC 16.7
T10. Room for Two ABC
12. Monday Night Football ABC 16.6
13. Unsolved Mysteries NBC 16.5
14. CBS Sunday Night Movie CBS 15.9
15. Evening Shade CBS 15.6
16. Northern Exposure CBS 15.5
17. A Different World NBC 15.2
18. The Cosby Show NBC 15.0
19. Wings NBC 14.6
20. America’s Funniest Home Videos ABC 14.5
Interesting Fact – Although Seinfeld was one of the biggest tv hits of the 1990s, it did not rank in very high in it’s first few seasons. In 90-91, it did not have enough episodes to qualify for a season ranking, but in 91-92 it came in at #42! The show didn’t actually breakout until it’s 5th season (93-94), when it was moved to Thursday nights and ranked in the top 3 until the show wrapped up in 1998.
Popular Saturday Morning Cartoons & Shows in 1991
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Tom and Jerry Kids
- Saved By The Bell
- Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventures
- Super Mario World
What did things cost in 1991
Check out this 1991 prices for food, gas, and even gold. Know that these tend to be average prices for an item in the US during the year. When possible we used US Govt. Economic data.
- Stamp $0.29 (Went from .25 to .29 in Feb.)
- Loaf of bread $0.71
- Dozen Eggs $0.99
- Bacon 1 lb. $1.95
- Gallon of Milk $2.78
- Gallon of Gas $1.14
- Movie Ticket $4.21
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System $199
- Minimum Wage $4.25 (Went from $3.80 to $4.25 in April)
- Ounce of Gold $362 (Avg. daily closing price for the year)
- New Car $15,473
- Cost of a 30 second commercial Super Bowl XXV (1991) $800,000
- Cost of a gigabyte of data storage $7,000
Most likely if you are searching for fun facts, trivia, and What Happened in 1991, you are getting ready to plan a big event like a birthday celebration for a spouse or close friend. We hope that our 1991 trivia, fun facts, top movies, top 40 songs of 1991 and other information was helpful and interesting. If you find yourself short on time, then be sure to check out our Born in 1991 party games. We include fun party activities that will have guests talking about the 90s and 2000s, while celebrating the birthday honoree.
If you are hosting a birthday party for someone Born in 1991, be sure to check out these party decorations that will help make your event extra special.
Party Game Ideas may receive compensation if featured items are purchased from linked web sites.
Back in 1981 Poster
Thanks for visiting our What Happened in 1991 Trivia page. We hope you had fun reliving the movies, top songs & music, tv shows, actors born in 1991, fun facts and other items from 1991. We created a graphic so you can save this page on Pinterest.