Unwrap the Gift Games
Unwrap the Gift / Pass the Parcel
Supplies: Gift items, wrapping paper, tape, music – that can be turned on and off
In this game, a gift has layer and layers of wrapping paper but who will be the lucky person to unwrap the last layer and win the gift! This hot potato type game has variations that can make each unwrapping frustrating and fun.
Wrap a gift (something your guests would enjoy) or gifts (if having several groups) in several layers of wrapping paper. The number of layers depends on how long you want the game to last, plus the more people the more layers. We suggest at least 5 layers, but some people have done up to 15 or more!
1. Have everyone sit in a circle and give your group / groups a gift.
2. Tell them when you turn on the music to pass the gift in one direction and when you turn off the music who ever has the gift gets to take off ONE layer of wrapping paper, continue this until the last layer of paper is taken off and whoever has the gift unwrapped gets to keep it.
Unwrap the Gift Variation
Place a slip of paper in between each wrapping. On each piece of paper will be and Action / Challenge or Prize.
Action: Hop on one foot 10 times, Blow up a balloon and pop it, etc… something silly
Prize: Include 1 small prize in 4 or 5 wraps – Could be a candy bar or dollar store gift.
By adding these twists guests don’t know whether they want the gift or not! We recommend you randomly add in these pieces of paper so you don’t even know what is next. Then it is a surprise for everyone.
Dice Doubles – Unwrap the Gift Game
Supplies: Gift, dice, various wrapping paper, tape, scissors
Announce that you are going to play a game where you unwrap a gift.
It sounds simple enough, then after everyone is seated and ready to go place a set of oven mitts next to the gift. Now it gets a little harder!
Get a gift or gift certificate and place in a solid box. We used a hard jewelry case but most boxes will do.
Then wrap the gift with paper, then masking tape, paper, masking tape, paper etc… The more layers, the harder the game will be to play and the more interesting.
Sit everyone in a circle and announce how the game is played.
– Each player takes a turn at rolling 2 dice.
– The first person to roll doubles goes to the center of the circle puts on the oven mitts/gloves and then starts unwrapping the gift with their hands. They can not use their teeth.
– While the person is working on trying to unwap the gift, the dice continue to be rolled and passed until the next person rolls the dice and yells, “Stop unwrapping”.
– At that point the person in the middle must put down the gift, take off the oven mitts/gloves and return to their seat. The next person now puts on the mitts and works to unwrap the gift.
The dice rolling and unwrapping continues until someone finally gets through all the layers of wrapping paper and tape and holds up the gift. Then the gift is theirs to keep.
Hint – to build the excitement, do not tell players that you used masking tape and several layers of paper.
Thanks, Richard & Krista